Thursday, August 03, 2006

Home....

After what seems eternity I finally manage to give my blog one last attempt at life. But this time I have an alibi. A good one at that.

Home.

After some major scheming, I finally managed to pull off a trip that my parents were totally unaware of and least expected. Just as they were wondering where I’d vanished to, one Saturday evening I rang the doorbell.

Let me be honest here and confess that I have never seen my parents that happy, in my whole life. My dad is usually reticent and inexpressive when it comes to his “emotions” whereas mom is the polar opposite. But that Saturday evening it was different. My dad hugged me tight, and told me how happy he was to see me whereas mom just watched silently with tears welled in her eyes.

Strangely for a moment, I felt I mattered.

Is’nt it wonderful that the word “home” encompasses so many emotions? Happiness, warmth, joy, security, steaming mugs of coffee, gossip about X uncle’s, Y aunties and their latest attempts at clowning around, giving your dog a bath, eating hot appams straight out of the pan, and so much more.

A world as simple as it can get, devoid of ramifications or complications. A world all of us love to be in. A world, which we can call as ours.

For 15 days, I felt the warmth that I failed to see for 25 years. I guess, you never realize the value of something unless you lose it. I have lost the warmth and comfort of staying with my parents because work has taken me far away from them. I doubt if I will ever get those times back. Today, I feel the value of it all.

Now back home in Singapore, (though I really wonder if home or house fits the phrase better), I look back at those 15 days as the most beautiful to have happened in a long time, and I really wonder why it all had to come to an end. I guess I’ll have to console myself by saying its all a part of being on the mean median.

Miss you acha, amma.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very touching, way to go pal!!!

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad but true!!! Cant agree with you more da...the emotions of meeting with the family is as resuscitating as any feeling known...on the other hand wen the time comes to take leave from the cherished pampering, it leaves a void larger than life....for all of us who have stepped out of our houses for one reason or the other, doesnt it leave us with something to ponder.....if our happiness lies somewhere else, what are we doing here????

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say the same thing again, Raju - "Touching and straight from the heart" Nice one this !

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm.........the one thing that afflicts all expats......homesickness......u can't do a thing about it, can u?

but, oh well, i'm glad you had your 15 days.....and wish u more such moments.

p.s. they more often than not remain "houses"...... :)

5:00 AM  
Blogger janani said...

Awww! That made go all touchy feely! Seriously home is where the heart is.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Aswin Rao said...

Rajaa... Rajaaa...ivlo sogatha manasule vechukutu, yen kitte oru vaarthai kooda solllaliyee paaaa... yen paaa...
Idhukaaandiyee indha vaaram Mattai aagarom da...
BTW, very touching blog... i miss home more than ever now...

11:36 AM  
Blogger Viji said...

Touching! Wonderful post, Rajan.

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one da. I know exactly what ur talking abt. :)

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am feeling nostalgic now..

11:32 AM  
Blogger NIDHI JAIN said...

An emotional submission one can easily identify with irrespective of age, gender and circumstance. Indeed we are eventually children at heart who need and long for warm fondling of our parents every now and then to feel better and secure in life.

I can only imagine how it must feel to live away from ones home and parents for ages, as if. The blog manages to reflect upon the feeling and gives me an idea. Apparently the blog is actually a homesick heart that is pouring out feelings and freezing them in words on a medium.

Engaging and enjoyable with superb english.

5:32 AM  
Blogger a tinge of blue said...

hey...
cant agree more about what home can do to a person... i think the realisation sets in when you go away to come back and find that they arent as young as they were when you left them.And thats when you want to take to take care of them the way did u and the second cycle of life starts...
hmm.. thought il scrap u on orkut but i found this and i liked this much much better than ur scrap book:)

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! You are very good man. While reading every word i imagined and felt every emotion u caught in those lines. It was lovely. You can esily go for book writing u know that. You MUST write a nice book for me Kiddo.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Rajan Rambles said...

@all->Thank you.Please keep visiting, and occassionally remind me tht i have a blog ;)

7:18 PM  
Blogger P.R.A.D said...

Awesome da!! I can understand it totally!!

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knock Knock!... You have a BLOG... and a way with words.... maybe its time to write your new blog entry-- the first in 2 years :)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Krish said...

That was by far one of your best pieces of work according to me. Probably coz, I can relate to it more now.

Isn't it true though that when we are with our loved ones we want to kill each other and once we move so far away, the distance is what teaches us how beautiful the experience is.

And dude, I know you have a brilliant brain for writing, then why do I see the last blog posted as of 2007? Keep writing da !!! Loved it !!! Loved it !!! Loved it !!!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home